The Parent Council is a group of parents of current students who pray for and act on behalf of the students and the college and engage in supportive activities at University of Northwestern.
A Resource for Students, Parents and Northwestern
The Parent Council at the University of Northwestern provides a unique support to UNW students. More than just a "grown up PTA," the council is a group of parents of current students who pray for and act on behalf of the students and the college.
Council activities include being a welcome committee during new student orientation, staffing the Parent Relations booth and volunteering at Homecoming, and helping plan other events.
The council also partners with the University in a variety of ways to provide resources for students and families; these activities may include making themselves available to students for informational interviews, helping promote parent-related events and opportunities or participating in fundraising efforts.
The Parent Council serves as a bridge between our office and all UNW parents. The volunteers play an important role in helping parents gain a meaningful connection to their students and to life at the University of Northwestern.
Parent Council Mission
The University of Northwestern Parent Council partners with the Office of Parent Relations to honor God through supporting and serving the families of Northwestern students. We do this by acting as ambassadors and advisors to build connections, enhance the UNW experience and encourage families with tools and resources to successfully navigate the college journey.
Support and Serve
Act as Ambassadors
Roles of the Council
- Provide advice and feedback to the university, from the perspective of parents of students, concerning matters of current interest to the university community.
- Serve as an advisory group, communicating with university staff and administration on ways to better serve students and their families.
- Serve as ambassadors on behalf of the university.
- Serve as a resource to students in areas of mutual interest including careers, internships and community service opportunities.
- Assist in recruiting and marketing of Northwestern by engaging with parents of prospective students and assisting with preview events.
- Support the university in prayer and giving.
- Attend parent council meetings two times a year.
- Represent the Parent Council at University events.
If you are interested in serving as a volunteer on the Parent Council and would like to know more, please e-mail the Parent Relations Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.