Music Application and Scholarships
Interested in pursuing a music major? The online Music Audition Application is required for new students who plan to major in music and also serves as the application for music scholarship consideration for all students. Find out more about the application process, dates, and music auditions.
Music is a dual admission program. Students must be admitted to both Northwestern and the Department of Music & Theatre in order to major in music.
The University of Northwestern – St. Paul music program is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
The online Music Audition Application is required for new students who plan to major in music and also serves as the application for music scholarship consideration for all students. Students may apply for a music merit scholarship regardless of their major.
Application: Complete the Music Audition Application.
* Application fee waived until December 1, 2019.
Click on the links below to download important information about your application:
- All applicants: music audition repertoire, how to prepare for your audition
- Music major & minor applicants: music theory placement exam, how to prepare for the on-campus placement exam
- Music major applicants: piano proficiency guidelines, how to prepare for on-campus piano placement evaluation
Students invited to an on-campus audition will be contacted to schedule an audition on one of these dates.
Scholarship Audition Days
* Application must be submitted by January 8, 2020
Saturday, February 8, 2020
Saturday, February 22, 2020
General Audition Days
Saturday, April 4, 2020—Application submitted by March 4
Friday, May 15, 2020 (On-campus PSEO audition day)—Application submitted by April 15
Thursday, August 14, 2020—Application submitted by July 14
Carla Meineke, Music & Theatre Office Coordinator